This phlebotomy venepuncture training course is aimed at all healthcare staff. specifically registered nurses, carers and support workers who’s role include taking bloods.
This is ideal for staff who are looking to improve their skills in venepuncture.
The Venepuncture Training will aim to improve the students’ knowledge of the theory surrounding venepuncture including: the correct order of draw, the anatomy of veins and how to select a suitable site – allow students to practice using a synthetic arm.
Please note: This course contains a full practical session.
- Identify the suitable veins for Venepuncture
- Identify the indications and contraindications for both the practitioner and the patient
- To discuss the equipment used for performing Venepuncture
- To be made aware of the full procedure and raise awareness for potential policy variations
- To provide simulated practise in a controlled environment to help develop Venepuncture skills
- To consider Venepuncture from patients point of view
Phlebotomy Venepuncture Training Course Summary
- Define Venepuncture
- Identify roles and responsibilities, relevant to the area of work and Venepuncture
- Discuss accountability and consent
- Label anatomy of vein assess and select suitable sites for Venepuncture and sites to be avoided
- Describe scenarios when not to take blood
- Discuss and practise skills such as timing, using less dominant hand, tourniquet usage and also angles of needle
- List equipment required for Venepuncture
- Explain order of draw and it’s importance
- Discuss and list labelling a sample accurately
- Identify relevant polices and procedures to area of work
- Breakdown the potential complications associated with Venepuncture and discuss appropriate actions to prevent and/or treat common errors, complications and problems you may encounter
- Outline basic first aid in relation to Phlebotomy
- Review the full procedure
- Practice by using a simulation arm
- Reflective piece based on Venepuncture experience – seeing it from patients point of view
We provide delegates/students with an activity workbook to work through and write notes in. We also provide a reflection template for revalidation and the full procedure/assessment template to assist students with competency sign off in their work place.
We offer 3 versions of this course
- Half day refresher
- Full day with simulation
- Full day with OSCE
Depending on which version of the course is chosen it will alter the price, max delegate count and the certificate issued on completion. For more information on which course is best suited to your business, get in contact today.
Where Do You Deliver The Venepuncture Training?
We can cover the whole of the UK, we also have our own venues in the Midlands and London. We are also able to deliver theory only sessions virtually using Zoom.
How Do You Deliver The Training?
We will deliver the venepuncture training at your premises for a group of up to 12 delegates, we also offer open courses for individuals which can be booked below if available.
Who Is This Venepuncture Training For?
This training is for anyone working within the health and social care sector.
How Many Can Attend Training?
We will run this course for a maximum of 12 delegates – however for larger groups we can either provide multiple trainers on the same day or run multiple days to get everyone trained.
Who Will Conduct The Training?
One of our expert clinical tutors, these are either Nurses or Doctors with an abundance of clinical and complex care experience and knowledge – so you’ll be in great hands!
We will let you know who is doing the training in advance, you can check out their skills and experience by finding them on our meet the team page.
DURATIONThis course lasts 4 to 6 hours.
CERTIFICATIONThe certificate issued depends on which course is attended.
Please find our full list of open courses available for you to book onto.
Click the links below for more information on our venues
- Stoke on Trent
We are taking every precaution to keep delegates safe during COVID19. Social distancing will be in effect with reduced class numbers.
Hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes and spray, aprons, gloves and face-shields will all be provided – we only ask you bring a mask and a focussed attitude ready to learn.
See you all soon.
If using a mobile device please scroll to the right to book >>>
Please wait, loading course dates...