Gain the required skills
This cough assist training aims to improve knowledge and skill in relation to caring for an individual who requires cough assist.
This course will help delegates understand how cough assist can help an individual and how it interacts with their respiratory system.
Make an Individual Booking
- Anatomy & physiology
- Reasons for assisted cough
- Identifying health issues
- Complications of cough assist
- To understand the correct procedure for assisted cough
- Troubleshooting and complications
- Practical session (if unit available)
Let us Help You
We’ll help you find the right course for your needs. Tell us a little bit about your situation and what you would like to achieve.
We’ll get back to you within one working day.
Sorry, no dates are available for this course yet - Please click here to contact us
We Can Help You Through Your Booking
Training FAQsContact Us
Where Do You Deliver The Cough Assist Training?
We can deliver this training at your premises, as long as it's within the UK. Also, we have our own venues in the Midlands if you don't have access to a training room. In addition, we are also able to deliver this training virtually using Zoom (Zoom sessions for this course will only be available for Theory only sessions)
Who Is This Cough Assist Training For?
This training is for anyone working within the health and social care sector.
Will Attending This Training Make Me Competent?
In short, no. No classroom-based training course can give you full competency - be very wary of anyone claiming they can. Our classroom-based assessments are designed to bridge the gap between classroom learning and workplace competency, we will provide you with the relevant workbooks and competency pro-formas to be observed and signed off within the workplace according to your local policy. We have put together this handy blog and video content to explain how this works - click here to read.
Who Will Conduct The Training?
One of our expert clinical tutors, these are either Nurses or Doctors with an abundance of clinical and complex care experience and knowledge - so you'll be in great hands! Furthermore, we will let you know who is doing the training in advance, you can check out their skills and experience by finding them on our meet the team page.
Cough Assist Training Course
This cough assist training aims to improve knowledge and skill in relation to caring for an individual who requires cough assist. This course will help delegates understand how cough assist can help an individual and how it interacts with their respiratory system.
Cough assist training is a course that teaches healthcare professionals how to safely and effectively use a cough assist device to help patients clear their airways. Cough assist is a medical device that helps people clear mucus and other secretions from their airways. It works by delivering a positive pressure to the lungs, followed by a rapid negative pressure. This creates a forced expiration, which helps to dislodge and expel mucus.
We are offering a combined full day Respiratory Care training day, which includes:
Cough Assist Training Outline:
Cough assist training is an essential course for healthcare professionals who work with patients who have respiratory conditions that make it difficult to cough effectively. The module contains:
Module 1: Anatomy & Physiology
- The respiratory system
- The cough reflex
- Factors that can affect the ability to cough
Module 2: Reasons for Assisted Cough
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Cystic fibrosis
- Other respiratory conditions
Module 3: Identifying Health Issues
- Signs and symptoms that may indicate a need for assisted cough
- Contraindications to assisted cough
Module 4: Complications of Cough Assist
- Gastric distension
- Other potential complications
Module 5: Correct Procedure for Assisted Cough
- Setting up the cough assist device
- Applying the mask or mouthpiece
- Initiating and completing a cough cycle
Module 6: Troubleshooting and Complications
- Common problems and how to resolve them
- Managing complications
Module 7: Practical Session (if unit available)
- Opportunity to practice using a cough assist device on a simulator or patient
Learning Outcomes: Cough Assist Training
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system and the cough reflex
- Identify the reasons for assisted cough and the health issues that may indicate a need for assisted cough
- Contraindicate assisted cough in appropriate cases
- Understand the complications of cough assist and how to manage them
- Set up and operate a cough assist device correctly
- Troubleshoot common problems and manage complications
Participants will be assessed on their knowledge and understanding of the material covered in the training.
This may be done through a written or oral assessment, or a combination of both.
This training is designed for healthcare professionals who are responsible for providing cough assist care to patients.
This includes nurses, respiratory therapists, and other healthcare workers.