This Ligature training course will also cover ligature cutter use and techniques as well as how to respond to emergency incidents.
Gain the required skills
This ligature training course aims to up-skill and empower staff to recognise and identify possible ligature points and to help them implement control measures in order to support an individual who is at risk from ligature.Make a Group Enquiry
Make an Individual Booking
- Identify types of ligatures and ligature points.
- Recognise and describe the signs and symptoms of ligature injuries.
- Explore ligature risk assessment & environmental risks
- Discuss safe removal from suspension
- Discuss first aid actions following a strangulation attempt
Let us Help You
We’ll help you find the right course for your needs. Tell us a little bit about your situation and what you would like to achieve.
We’ll get back to you within one working day.
Sorry, no dates are available for this course yet - Please click here to contact us
We Can Help You Through Your Booking
Ligature Training FAQsContact Us
Where Do You Deliver The Ligature Training?
We can deliver this training at your premises, as long as it’s within the UK. We also have our own venues in the Midlands if you don’t have access to a training room. Also we are able to deliver this training virtually using Zoom.
Who Is This Ligature Training For?
This training is for anyone working within the health and social care sector supporting individual at risk of ligature.
How Many Delegates Can I Have On One Session?
We will deliver this training for a group of up to 12 delegates. For larger groups, we can either provide multiple trainers on the same day or run multiple days to get everyone trained.
Who Will Conduct The Training?
One of our expert clinical tutors, these are either Nurses or Doctors with an abundance of clinical and complex care experience and knowledge – so you’ll be in great hands! We will let you know who is doing the training in advance, you can check out their skills and experience by finding them on our meet the team page.
This ligature training course aims to up-skill and empower staff to recognise and identify possible ligature points and to help them implement control measures in order to support an individual who is at risk from ligature.
This course pairs exceptionally well with our Mental Health Awareness Course, why not make it a full day of training and book both!
Ligature Training Course Outline:
The Ligature Training course is designed to provide participants with essential knowledge and skills to effectively recognize, assess, and respond to ligature incidents. The course equips participants with the necessary tools to minimize risks, promote safety, and provide timely and effective support in ligature-related situations. Let’s dive in to the summary outline:
Identify Types of Ligatures and Ligature Points:
- Learn about different types of materials that can be used as ligatures.
- Understand common areas where ligature points are typically found.
Recognize and Describe the Signs and Symptoms of Ligature Injuries:
- Identify physical signs and symptoms that indicate a person may have been involved in a ligature incident.
- Learn how to assess and document these signs to ensure proper reporting and intervention.
Explore Ligature Risk Assessment & Environmental Risks:
- Understand the importance of conducting a thorough ligature risk assessment in different environments.
- Identify potential environmental risks and hazards that contribute to ligature incidents.
- Learn strategies to mitigate and minimize these risks.
Discuss Safe Removal from Suspension:
- Gain knowledge on the appropriate steps to safely remove a person from suspension following a ligature incident.
- Understand the importance of a swift and coordinated response to prevent further harm.
Discuss First Aid Actions Following a Strangulation Attempt:
- Learn about immediate first aid actions to take when encountering a person who has experienced a strangulation attempt.
- Understand how to provide necessary support and care while awaiting medical professionals.
By understanding different types of ligatures and ligature points, recognizing signs of injuries, conducting ligature risk assessments, and knowing proper first aid procedures, participants will be better equipped to prevent, respond to, and manage ligature-related situations in various settings.
What is a Ligature?
A ligature refers to any object or material that can be used to bind or constrict something tightly, especially around the neck. Ligature training helps people learn about these things and how to keep others safe. The training teaches us to recognize ligatures and what to do if we see someone using them. You will learn how to help and prevent harm from happening. It’s important to understand ligatures so we can take care of each other and make sure everyone is safe.
Who Should Attend the Training?
Ligature training is beneficial for various individuals and professionals who are involved in environments where there is a potential risk of ligature incidents. The following are examples of those who should consider attending ligature training:
- Healthcare professionals: Doctors, nurses, caregivers, and other healthcare staff working in hospitals, clinics, and mental health facilities.
- Social workers: Professionals working with individuals at risk of self-harm or suicide.
- Teachers and school staff: Educators and school personnel who interact with students and need to address safety concerns.
- Law enforcement officers: Police officers, security personnel, and emergency responders who may encounter ligature incidents.
- Mental health professionals: Psychologists, therapists, counselors, and other professionals working with individuals struggling with mental health issues.
- Caregivers and family members: Individuals responsible for the well-being and safety of loved ones who may be at risk of ligature incidents.
Course Summary: Ligature Training for Healthcare Professionals
The Ligature Training course equips healthcare professionals with knowledge and skills to manage ligature incidents effectively. Learn to identify ligatures and signs of injuries, conduct risk assessments, and provide safe removal from suspension. Gain essential first aid skills and create a safer healthcare environment.
Upon completion of the Ligature Training course, healthcare professionals will be able to:
- Identify different types of ligatures and recognize potential ligature points.
- Describe the signs and symptoms of ligature injuries and provide appropriate care.
- Conduct comprehensive risk assessments to identify and address environmental risks.
- Safely remove individuals from suspension following a ligature incident.
- Administer proper first aid actions in response to strangulation attempts.
- Implement preventive measures to minimize ligature risks and enhance patient safety.
- Communicate effectively and collaborate with interdisciplinary teams in ligature-related incidents.
- Apply relevant policies and protocols to ensure a safe care environment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in documenting and reporting ligature incidents accurately.
- Reflect on experiences and apply a person-centered approach in ligature management.
By achieving these learning outcomes, healthcare professionals will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to effectively handle ligature incidents, ensure patient safety, and provide optimal care within healthcare settings.