Gain the required skills
This Safer Handling Of Medication Training course is aimed at staff who are responsible for the handling, administrating and disposal of medication within a care environment. Whether that be nurses, carers or community support workers.
The Safer Medication Handling Training will aim to improve delegates knowledge of the different types of medication, the various routes, the 7 R’s, errors and correct documentation.
Make an Individual Booking
- Policies. Legislation. CQC
- Medication. Routes. Formulation. Types. Absorption.
- MDT. Roles and Responsibilities. Levels of support. Boundaries and agreed ways of working.
- Order. Receive. Store. Record. Transfer. Dispose.
- 7 R’s. Group Work. Sources of info. Practical session including MAR charts.
- Risk assessments. Person Centred Care. Review. Covert. Consent. Refuse.
- Errors and action.
- Infection Control and Technique.
Let us Help You
We’ll help you find the right course for your needs. Tell us a little bit about your situation and what you would like to achieve.
We’ll get back to you within one working day.
We Can Help You Through Your Booking
Training FAQsContact Us
Where Do You Deliver The Safer Handling of Medication Training?
We can deliver this training at your premises, as long as it's within the UK. Also, we have our own venues in the Midlands if you don't have access to a training room. In addition, we are able to deliver this training virtually using Zoom (Zoom sessions for this course will only be available for Theory only sessions)
Who Is This Safer Handling of Medication Training For?
This training is for anyone working within the health and social care sector who are working with or around medication.
How Many Delegates Can I Have On One Session?
We will deliver this training for a group of up to 12 delegates. Similarly, for larger groups we can either provide multiple trainers on the same day or run multiple days to get everyone trained.
Who Will Conduct The Training?
One of our expert tutors, these all have an abundance of first-hand health and social care experience and knowledge – so you’ll be in great hands! Furthermore, we will let you know who is doing the training in advance, you can check out their skills and experience by finding them on our meet the team page.
Safe Handling of Medication Training
This Safer Handling Of Medication Training course is aimed at staff who are responsible for the handling, administrating, and disposal of medication within a care environment.
Whether that be nurses, carers, or community support workers.
- Course Duration: 4- 6 hours
- Course Level: Level 2
- Certificate: 1-year certificate
- Max Delegates: 12
- Practical: Yes
The Safer Medication Handling Training will aim to improve delegate’s knowledge of the different types of medication, the various routes, the 7 R’s, errors, and correct documentation. Note that:
- The aim is to teach delegates best practices and cover current regulations and legislation.
- The aim of this Safe Handling of Medication Training is to improve their confidence when dealing with service users and their medication.
- We can tailor this course to your company’s needs, requirements, and documentation.
Therefore if you have any specific points you wish to be highlighted or raised within the training please let us know in advance and our trainer will focus on this aspect.
For Medication Management Online Training, visit our e-learning section link.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of medication types, routes of administration, and absorption processes.
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of the multi-disciplinary team in medication management, promoting effective teamwork and communication.
- Safely handle medication through the entire process, from ordering to disposal, while adhering to relevant policies and legislation, including CQC guidelines.
- Apply the 7 R’s of medication administration to ensure accuracy and safety in medication practices.
- Conduct risk assessments and implement appropriate measures to mitigate potential hazards related to medication handling.
- Provide person-centered care, taking into account individual preferences and needs during medication administration.
- Understand the importance of informed consent and know how to handle situations where a patient refuses medication.
- Identify and prevent medication errors, and take corrective actions when errors occur.
- Practice infection control techniques to minimize the risk of infection during medication administration.
Question and Answer
What is Medication Training?
Medication training is a program that teaches healthcare professionals, caregivers, and others how to handle medications safely and effectively.
It covers topics like administering medications correctly, calculating dosages, understanding side effects, and keeping proper records.
The training helps prevent mistakes, keeps patients safe, and improves healthcare quality.
Participants learn important skills to ensure medications are given responsibly, benefiting patients and the overall healthcare process. For our online medication training, please visit this link.
What does Safe Handling of Medication Training involve?
Safe handling of medication training teaches healthcare professionals and caregivers best practices for safe and responsible medication management.
It covers administration procedures, dosage calculation, preventing errors, storage, emergency response, and patient education. The training promotes patient safety and optimal healthcare outcomes.
Why should you take a Safe Handling of Medication Training?
Taking a Safe Handling of Medication Training is crucial for several reasons:
- Patient Safety: The training equips you with the knowledge and skills to administer medications safely, reducing the risk of errors that could harm patients.
- Legal Compliance: Proper training ensures you understand and adhere to legal and ethical responsibilities related to medication administration, protecting both patients and healthcare professionals.
- Effective Medication Management: The training covers best practices for handling medications, including dosage calculation, storage, and documentation, leading to more efficient and accurate medication management.
- Preventing Adverse Reactions: With training, you can recognize and respond promptly to adverse reactions, ensuring patient well-being and reducing potential complications.
- Confidence and Competence: The training instills confidence in medication administration, making you more competent in providing safe and effective healthcare.
- Improved Healthcare Quality: By following safe medication handling procedures, you contribute to overall healthcare quality and positive patient outcomes.
- Professional Development: Safe handling of medication training enhances your professional skills and opens up opportunities for career advancement in healthcare settings.
- Patient Trust: Patients and their families trust healthcare providers who demonstrate competence and adherence to safety protocols, fostering a positive healthcare relationship.
- Adherence to Best Practices: The training follows evidence-based best practices, ensuring you are up-to-date with the latest advancements in medication management.
What are the benefits of Safe Handling of Medication Training for Care Homes?
Safe Handling of Medication Training benefits Care Homes by:
- Enhancing Patient Safety: Reducing medication errors and ensuring safe administration.
- Legal Compliance: Meeting regulatory requirements and ethical responsibilities.
- Efficient Medication Management: Proper storage, documentation, and handling.
- Minimizing Adverse Reactions: Recognizing and responding to potential issues promptly.
- Building Staff Confidence: Ensuring competence and professionalism.
- Improving Healthcare Quality: Contributing to better care outcomes and patient satisfaction.