This tracheostomy training course aims to familiarise students with the reasons for tracheostomy and the care and management of a tracheostomy.
The course will ensure staff have sufficient knowledge to work with an individual with a tracheostomy safely and effectively.
A vital course for any staff who come into contact with service users who have a tracheostomy.
The course is theoretical and pratical, we will bring our own manikin and suction machine with us.
Tracheostomy Training Course Summary
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Infection control and prevention
- Different types of tracheostomy
- Indications for tracheostomy
- Complications of tracheostomy
- Changing dressings and keeping the area clean
- Fitting, managing and changing an inner cannula tube
- Suctioning a patient with a tracheostomy
- Communication and care of a patient with a tracheostomy tube
- Keeping accurate records
- Full tube change procedure
- Emergency tracheostomy management (resus) procedure and guidelines
- Practical session using mannequin & suction machine
We offer 3 versions of this tracheostomy training course
- Half day refresher
- Full day with simulation
- Full day with OSCE
Depending on which version of the course is chosen it will alter the price, max delegate count and the certificate issued on completion. For more information on which course is best suited to your business, get in contact today.
On completion delegates will be able to demonstrate much improved awareness of tracheostomy, the causes, needs and requirements.
They will understand the common reason for tracheostomy and the various types of tracheostomy.
Staff will have a great understanding of the common complication in relation to tracheostomy and the corrrect course of action to follow.
Staff will undertake a practical session on changing the dressing, suctioning the patient, inner cannula change and full tube change using our equipment and training mannequins.
During the practical session delegates will have the opportunity to practise their day to day tasks working around the tracheostomy so they can work confidently without risk.
DURATIONThis course lasts 4 to 6 hours.
CERTIFICATIONThe certificate issued depends on which course is attended.