John – Clinical Tutor
Hi. I’m John Starr and I’ve worked in and around the NHS since 1973
During that time I qualified and worked as a General Nurse, Psychiatric Nurse and District Nurse.
I worked in many disciplines along the way……..ENT, Orthopaedics, Medicine, Urology, Surgery, Theatre, Elderly Care, Paediatrics to name but a few.
I’ve maintained my NMC registration whilst also persuing a career in Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Sales and Management. From rookie Sales Representative to UK Sales Manager via Training and Continuing Care Case Management. Work has been kind enough to have taken me around Europe, North America and the Middle East.
People sometime ask me when I started training. Well, I was 9 or 10 years old when I joined the St. John Ambulance Brigade and began teaching the cadets when I was in my teens. I was appointed as Superintendent of the Brighouse and Rastrick Division, eventually becoming the Chief Nursing Officer for the whole of Calderdale. Thinking about it, I’ve been teaching and training people virtually all my life.
Away from work I enjoy walking in the wilds of Yorkshire, geocaching along the way (google it!). My wife Lynda and I enjoy the cinema, theatre, concerts and gardening when time permits.
And then there’s our new grandson George who’ll will take care of any spare time that’s left over.
Maxine – Safeguarding Expert & Tutor
My career spans over an 20-year period and in that time, I have always worked in Training and Development, primarily for disadvantaged families and the organisations that support them.
I have worked in a number of different subject areas; these include: Safeguarding, design, delivery and management of training packages, learning and development, building risk and resilience, early intervention, setting up services for families, commissioning services, writing, implementing and performance managing strategies, quality standards, engagement and participation, service development, consultation, parenting programme delivery and co-ordination, training and development and home visiting.
My work has led to 2 National Awards for Learning and Development, national recognition from the Family and Parenting Institute and I was the Subject Matter Expert for the National ATREMIS One Children’s Workforce Induction Programme in parenting. I was commended by Staffordshire Chamber of Commerce in 2017 under the Science, Technology an Innovation category and came runner up in the Sentinel Business Awards.
- Diploma to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS) specialising in parenting including education and personal development
- Sport Science 2:2
- Level 3 Leadership and Management
- Certificate in introductory counselling skills – Merit
National Academy for Parenting Practitioners
- Working with Parents (theory and practice) including child development
- Child Protection and Adult Safeguarding including: understanding the impact of traumatic abuse, domestic violence, disabled children and young people.
Work based qualifications:
- Optimising Team Performance
- Safeguarding children and adults – Facilitator delivering training endorsed by Staffordshire Safeguarding Board
- Developing and Managing a Team
- Commissioning Skills and services
- Understanding and supporting families who have been victims of domestic abuse
- Family Links one: one nurturing programme facilitator certificate
- Changes self-awareness facilitator certificate
- Leadership, Team and Culture
- National Parenting Academy City and Guilds Level 4 in Working with Parents (theory and practice)
- Child protection/Safeguarding level 3
- Essential Leadership and Management skills City and Guilds Level 3
- City and Guilds level 3 in working with parents (the theory and practice)
- City & Guilds 7307 Adult Teaching Certificate Stage 1 & 2
- Triple P Positive Parenting Group and one to one facilitation certificate
- Pacific institute STEPS to personal excellence teachers award
- Handling Children’s and Teenagers behaviour certificate
- Modern service delivery – SOT City Council accreditation
- Partnership Working
- Lone Woking in the Community
- Violence and Aggression in the Workplace
Sarah – Care Tutor
Kevin – Care Tutor
Kevin is a care trainer
Anne – Care Tutor
Anne worked for the NHS for 20 years before changing careers and becoming a lecturer. She taught Health and Social Care, Social Care and Childcare related subjects in Further Education colleges and also at University.
She managed a tier 3 adult and family weight management service in the North West, before moving to manage and deliver an education programme aimed at empowering adolescents with mental health issues for a charity in Manchester.
Now living and working in Scotland, Anne delivers training sessions to support/care workers throughout the country.
Alan – First Aid Tutor
Alan is a first aid trainer
Chris – First Aid Tutor
Chris is a first aid trainer
Denyse – Sector Based Academy Expert & Care Tutor
Denyse is a care trainer
Courtney – Moving & Handling Expert & Tutor
Courtney is care trainer
Anne-Louise – Clinical Tutor
Anne-Louise is a clinical tutor
Caron – Clinical Tutor
Caron is a registered nurse trainer
Dr Kamal – Clinical Tutor
Dr Kamal is clinical trainer
Christine – Clinical Tutor
Christine is a nurse trainer
Mandy – Clinical Tutor
Mandy is a registerd nurse trainer